Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Big Rig in Print - McCall's Quick Quilts Feb/Mar 2012

The February/March issue of McCall's Quick Quilts features my quilt Chelsea Flower Garden. 





It is made using a panel that Kaffe Fassett created.  It is a great quick and easy quilt to put together - perfect for giving a hint of Spring to any bedroom.


McCall's also did a great job showing how I spliced the striped fabric together for the borders.  To have the stripes run the way they do in the quilt you need to cut them the width of the fabric (WOF) - and to get a border strip long enough you need to join strips together to fit the length of the quilt. They have a great photo spread in the magazine to show how I did this, but they also created a "how-to" video that is on their website.

When I quilted this quilt, I could have done an easy edge-to-edge design, but I wanted to do something special for this quilt. Here are some pictures to show you what I did. I quilted this on my HQ 16 using Aurifil 50wt thread. The quilting was a combination of free form quilting and ruler work. While I quilted this on my longarm -you could easily accomplish the same look using your domestic sewing machine.




I quilted a wavy pointed design in both of the stripe borders. I was thinking of doing it with straight lines but the nature of the fabric suggested something a little looser.



In the panels I quilted a wavy grid. Kaffe's fabrics call for a more casual approach to the quilting. I felt that a standard grid would be a bit too formal for these fabrics.




In the Center Blocks I did some detailed free-form outline stitching around the floral fabric. I simply let the fabric tell me where to quilt. I added simple arcs which created melon shapes where the blocks connect.



In the corner star blocks I again followed the floral patterns in the center of the blocks and then quilted pebbles in the star points and quilted ovals that followed the print of the gold fabric. Stitching in the ditch around the white triangles help to make this part of the block "POP" and frame the center portion of the block.



I hope you consider making this quilt either in the this color-way or using one of the other color ways.  A kit with the fabrics I used is available from McCall's Quilting. (What about the black panel with some of the darker hued Westminster-Rowan fabrics - to create a quilt with an Amish feel)

I hope that this might give you some idea of how you might quilt this quilt - or how to quilt other quilts that might use similar blocks or similar fabrics.

2 comments: